Friday 27 March 2015

James Bell

James Bell is a British photographer who is best known for his Lake District which he has been known to sell as postcards.
 This photo is of a valley in the Lake District, this is a photo that I really like because it shows off a lot of the beauty of the valley, it also shows that you don't need a clear day to take a good landscape photograph. Also with the sunlight coming through the gaps in the valley on to the bottom of the valley really give it a true beauty. This is a sort of photograph I would buy as a postcard, it is easily one you could see in a shop and people buying. I think it is a very strong landscape image and one of the best I have seen.
This image is of a lake in the Lake District, this image is different to most others that people are likely to take of this lake, as most people are likely to try and get to higher ground to take a photo of all the lake whereas this hasn't been done. This is the reason why I think this is a really strong image, this is the sort of of image you are likely to see as a postcard in the shops of the Lake District. The reason that I like this image is he has taken the image from the same level of the lake and not tried to get to higher ground. If he had taken this photo from higher ground, it wouldn't be the image it is, it may still be a decent image but it certainly wouldn't be anywhere near as good as this image is. I also like how there is so much to the picture, your eyes are normally drawn straight to the lake but there is also quite a lot else to look at, which make the photo interesting. This is an image that when sold as a postcard I am likely to buy straight away it is also another reason why I think James Bell is a fantastic landscape photographer.
This image I feel is the best of the three without a doubt. This image is of another lake in the same area as the other three, the main reason I like this image is because it doesn't just show of the lake it also shows off all of the area, the mountains in the background. This image would probably work really well in colour as well but it is a very strong image in black and white as well and even though I haven't seen the image in colour I do prefer the image in black and white as it really shows of the location really well. To be fair good landscape image do actually look better in black and white depending of whether the actual location is quite colourful. This image reminds of some of the images that Ansel Adams would produce, the mountains in the background remind me of one of his image The Tetons and the Snake River from 1942, I know the images don't look that similar but there is something about the two images, and this image reminds me of that image.

No comments:

Post a Comment