Thursday 26 March 2015

Warner Gothard

Warner Gothard was a British photographer who was based in Barnsley. Gothard was known for turning his photographs into postcards these would incorporate family portraits as well these were normally to advertise different locations around Britain.
This postcard shows off different locations of Barnsley, it shows what it is like in the city. The postcard mixes in different locations, a bit of text and images of a group of children. To me the image of the children looks like it has been put together, meaning that I believe the images of the children were taken separately and then added together on the postcard. This postcard I don't really like as it doesn't really seem very interesting at all. This seemingly is trying to show off Barnsley and I know the photos were taken over 100 years ago, but this would still make me think about going elsewhere instead of Barnsley. It might advertise he city as best he can but to me it doesn't really attract me to the city.
This postcard shows of Barrow Colliery in Barnsley. This like his previous image incorporates portraits of people as well. This image I feel is a better postcard than the one above, but like the one above it doesn't attract me to Barnsley and also it doesn't make me want to send it to family members whilst on holiday. What puzzles me the most about this postcard is the actual location chosen, it really isn't the first place you would go to, to create a postcard. But it could be a vital part of the history of Barnsley, which if it is makes it an interesting postcard, but to me I wouldn't know so it doesn't interest me at all.
This postcard shows the Cudworth Railway accident in 1905. I don't understand why someone would want to make or even buy a postcard of this. I can fully understand why somebody would photograph this incident to document what has happened. But then to create it as a postcard truly puzzles me. To be fair looking at this, even though it was 110 years ago could well make people anxious about using this railway. Personally I don't really like this image as it doesn't interest me at all as separate images or as a postcard.

No comments:

Post a Comment